The property dates from the 15th century and probably incorporated a shop to the north, which would have been demolished in the 19th century to make way for the bank. It was built as a ‘hall house’ which would have been single story, open plan interior, thatched, with an open fire in the centre. The original height would have been up to the wall plate half way up the walls upstairs. The construction being timber framed with wattle & daub.
In about 1600 the upstairs was inserted, the house raised in height and the chimney stack built. The bressemer beam and wall painting, which is exposed over the fireplace, dates from this time.
The house was further altered in around 1800 when it was converted into two cottages. The south cottage consisting only of, what is now, the dinning area and the main bedroom with a staircase to the left of the fireplace. The fireplace in this room dates from this time and would have provided all cooking and water heating facilities.
The bank was built in the mid 1800’s, and access to Bank House being through a passageway under the eastern arch of its façade.
The small southern cottage is said not to have been occupied, except as a chicken shed, after 1900. However the larger house was lived in up to 1974, when Barclays bank extended its property and effectively cut off any access to the house. It is amazing to think that so recently Barclay’s property services believed in the longevity of rural banks in comparison to medieval country cottages!
The current restoration was completed in 2002. The kitchen being an extension from this date where an old lean too shed was, and a new entrance has been created through the newly built Royal Oak Mews. The seating area outside the kitchen window covers the old well.
We have tried wherever possible to re-use materials from the original building and where items had to be introduced we have used reclaim, even re-using old blacksmith made nails. The walls have been repaired using traditional methods of wattle and daub, lime putties and limewash.